The TIPS Summer Internship Program connects high school students with meaningful, paid summer work at local nonprofit organizations. The internship is either full time (30hrs/wk – 240hrs) or part time (20hrs/wk – 160hrs), and spans 8 weeks over the summer.
- TIPS is a more rewarding option for summer employment than is typically available to most teens.
- TIPS gives teenagers a chance to address issues and needs in the community.
- TIPS provides leadership opportunities that build upon the activities many students participate in throughout the school year.
- TIPS gives students who enjoyed their community service requirement during the school year a chance to continue their service work and further their leadership potential while earning a paycheck during the summer.
- TIPS allows students who need to work and seldom have any time to experience “volunteerism” a chance to serve and earn money in the process.
- TIPS pays competitive wages for important, interesting and valuable work.
- TIPS is a great “resume builder,” giving students work experience as well as exposure to service.
Who should apply to be a TIPS intern?
TIPS seeks high school students, ages 15 to 19, who are active leaders and interested in community service. Applicants must be 15 by June 1st, 2014.
What is required of TIPS interns?
- Each intern will commit to a schedule of either 20 hours or 30 hours per week for 6 to 8 weeks and 5 of those weeks must be consecutive.
- TIPS interns are committed, punctual and enthusiastic about community involvement.
- You MUST attend 4 mandatory trainings
- TIPS orientation-Monday, June 2, 2014, for 2 hours in the evening
- Leadership Training— Saturday, July 12, 2014 (1/2 day)
- Day of Service—Saturday, August 2, 2014
- Celebration of Service— Friday, August 15, 2014 (evening)
- Each intern participates in a team service project (as a volunteer).
- Each intern aids in evaluation of the TIPS program as well as their particular placement.
How do I apply?
You can apply on-line here or download a PDF or Word version of our application and mail it to TIPS. Applications are also available at many area high schools and at our office. Contact your career counselor or Key Club Advisor for more information.
- You will need two letters of recommendation. Instructions for letters of recommendations are also listed here.
- Application and two letters of recommendation are due on March 7, 2014 at 5:00 pm. Late applications and letters of recommendation will not be accepted. Click here for more details about letters of recommendation.
- Visit TIPS Facebook page regarding your application:
How does TIPS select its interns?
Each applicant must:
- Fill out an application and return it to TIPS before the application deadline.
- Have 2 letters of recommendation submitted on his/her behalf before the deadline.
- If selected, attend an interview by the TIPS Selection Committee.
- Strong weight is given to the letters of recommendation and the interview.
While there is no set formula, the most successful applicants will be passionate about serving their community, enthusiastic about the TIPS opportunity, and able to articulate past leadership and service experience.